FOLK RELIGION AND TEMPLES
Foshan Guanyin Yan
Foshan Guanyin Yan is located at No. 20, Mapu, Syushan Village, Liouying District. The Temple was first built on10th January in the 11th Year of the Japanese Emperor Showa (1936) and served as seats for the Avalokiteśvara Buddha, Yuhuang Dadi (Jade Em-peror), and Yaochih Jinmu (Golden Matron of Yaochih, or Queen Mother of the West). The temple was originally constructed out of wood and is located in the mountain ridges. Legend men-tioned that the temple was originally located at a tile kiln built by the Dutch. A mountain creek was dammed to create an irriga-tion reservoir, which was later renamed as Guanyinbi. The tem-ple today still serve as the seat for the Avalokiteśvara Buddha, the Jade Emperor, and the Golden Matron of Yaochih. Recon-struction was initiated in 1978 and completed in 1981. Temple premises occupy a total of area of 20 hectares.
Yanjhih Guanyin Mountain was also known as Foshan. A geo-mancer from China who visited Taiwan in the early 17th century found powerful spiritual forces along this mountain, and was certain that he had located an auspicious meridian for a Bud-dhist temple. As the locale was bordered by flowing waters and majestic peaks, it bore resemblance to the Avalokiteśvara Bud-dha (Guanyin) seated in a lily meditation pose, giving rise to the name of Guanyin Mountain. The Dutch built a tile kiln on this mountain, creating dams to create a total of four irrigation res-ervoirs in the area.
Foshan Guanyin Yan, Telephone:(06)6232855, 6231185